Virgin coconut oil is sometimes described as having incredible and near-miraculous health benefits like a nutritional supplement. Some of these exaggerated claims are created by manufacturers or by websites that sell the coconut oil that is clearly a conflict of interest. Does coconut oil have any real benefits for health?
Coconut oil is obtained from the meat of mature coconuts harvested in the coconut palm. There are several means of extracting the oil plus they produce oils with different characteristics. Within the traditional method, the coconut kernel is shredded, combined with a little water, and then squeezed to extract an emulsion called coconut cream or coconut milk. The coconut milk will be allowed to separate naturally, and also the oil rises to the surface. Within the dry process, shredded coconut is dried under the sun or in an oven and the oil is extracted by pressing. The dried coconut kernel is called “copra”, and coconut oil is sometimes called copra oil. Virgin coconut oil is understood to be coconut oil obtained by mechanical or natural means without or with the application of heat, which does not lead to alteration of the oil. Coconut oil prepared by cold pressing preserves polyphenols along with other biologically active components which may be degraded by heat.
Coconut oil can be used in foods, medicines, cosmetics, and industrial applications. In certain Asian countries, coconut oil can be used for cooking and frying, and coconut milk can be used as an ingredient in curry recipes. Coconut oil is resistant against rancidity and its use increased as a replacement for hydrogenated fats when manufacturers was required to report trans fats in nutrition labels.
Health Benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil (cold pressed):
- Thyroid-stimulating: Research shows that coconut oil includes a medium-chain fatty acids accelerate that stimulates metabolism, provides you with more energy.
- Get candida under control: Coconut oil has a good quantity of caprylic acid inside it which is well known to get rid of excess candida by targeting parasites.
- Lowers cholesterol: It is full of lauric acid which protects your heart by reduction of total cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol.
- Aids in weight loss: Here is an interesting fact about coconut oil; even though it is a fat, it actually aids in weight loss! Read more here: Weight Loss With Coconut Oil. The healthy medium chain essential fatty acids do not circulate in the bloodstream like other fats; they’re sent directly to the liver and therefore are converted into energy. Thus your body does not store the fat in coconut oil as fat; it uses it to create energy instead.
- Helps keep diabetes under control: It does not produce an insulin spike inside your bloodstream. Instead it helps control blood sugar levels by improving the secretion of insulin. Note: This isn’t a free pass to eat a great deal of sugar and other dumb carbs.
- Reduces heart disease: studies on people in the Pacific Islands found that their total caloric intake included thirty to 60 % from fully saturated coconut oil. These Pacific Islanders have nearly non-existent rates of cardiovascular disease.